The following are some of the frequently asked questions by students, parents and staff. The most common are addressed below, others are addressed in the subpages. If you have further questions please contact the Guidance and Counseling Office.

How do I meet with my counselor?

Students should sign the appropriate appointment book before school, after school, between classes or at breaks. This will alert the specific Counselor that an appointment needs to be set. You will be given a reminder note to show your teacher then use your agenda book as your hall pass at your scheduled time. Students can also stop in if the counselor’s door is open or can ask Darcie Guitterez or Debbie Moncrief to schedule an appointment.

Parent/Guardians may call for an appointment at any time.

How do I get my Power School password and log in to see current grades?

Students and parents have separate access to the Power School Portals so they have different IDs and passwords. To find out your information contact the Guidance Office, Administrative Secretaries or the BHHS Library Aide. A Power School link is on the district website’s homepage and the Guidance Center homepage.

I need a schedule change for the upcoming school year, how do I do this?

Because students and parents will have early access to their class schedules through Power School (Internet portals) schedule changes should be requested prior to the first day of classes each semester. Students need to plan carefully and make wise decisions. Keep in mind that requests can be denied if the reasoning isn’t appropriate or if a class is full.

How do I get an official copy of my transcripts?

Contact the BHHS Registrar/Guidance Secretary for ordering transcripts. Generally current and recently past students require 48 hours to process information for transcripts. Students that graduated prior to 2003 will need to allow 10 working days to process transcripts. For current students there is no cost for transcripts. Past students have a $7 fee payable to BHHS at the main office.

If you need a new/replacement diploma there is a $15 fee and you must allow 10 working days.  Forms for ordering transcripts or diploma requests are in the Guidance office or call 469-2108 ext 4012.

Who can I contact to find out how my student is doing in his/her classes?

Please contact teachers directly regarding your student’s progress. You may contact them through the high school’s website via e-mail, http://www.brookings.k12.or.us/bhhs/bhhs.html or telephone (541)469-2108.

If you have broader concerns regarding your student’s academic or personal success you may contact the guidance and counseling office.

As a senior what is the first thing I should be doing to plan for post-secondary education?

Seniors were encouraged at the end of their Junior year to spend the summer visiting and researching possible post-high school educational interests.

The following is a general guideline to follow during your senior year:

September………….Register to take the SAT in October, November, or December at www.collegeboard.com
…..Sign up with ASPIRE and ETS in the Guidance Office for more one-on-one assistance

Sept/Oct……………Complete & submit any trade, college, university, community college application by the end of October. Submit to 3 to 5 schools that you are considering. Most applications are now on-line. You can use computers in the Bruin Career Center to assist you if needed.

October 1.………….Complete & Submit FAFSA from worksheet. (You Do Not need to have completed your taxes to complete the form if done in good faith…do an update later)

Nov/Dec…………….Prepare to complete the FAFSA at www.FAFSA.ed.gov by using the 2013-14 Worksheet. Parents and students need to work together on this. Take advantage and attend any Financial Aid workshop at the high school or Southwestern Community College. Begin Scholarship searches.

Jan/Feb…………….Complete Scholarships: OSAC, BHSF, BHHS Local, and others. Visit the Bruin Career Center, your counselors, and this site for links and downloads.
…..Update FAFSA if needed

March/April…………Wait on financial aid & scholarship information
…..Keep grades up, get any credit recovery done and finish strong

May 1.……………..Notify most colleges/universities of intent to attend
…..Notify Guidance of scholarships, post-secondary decisions

…..Request final transcript sent to your chosen college/trade school

Where can I find out about scholarships and financial aid?

There are several resources you can go to for this information; make an appointment or drop into the Bruin Career Center. ASPIRE volunteers are available for mentoring and drop-in visits are always welcome in the Bruin Career Center. Val Cowan with Education Talent Search is also located in the Bruin Career Center. We encourage you to search on-line, contact colleges of interest or visit the financial aid page on this website. The Bruin Career Center has many college, university and trade school catalogues available. There are also computers for student and parent use in the center.

When and Where is graduation?

For the class of 2017 Graduation is Saturday, June 10th at 2:00pm at Elmer Bankus Field. Mandatory Practice will be on Friday June 9th at 9:00 a.m. All seniors must plan to attend.

When does the school year end?

Thursday, June 15th is the last day of school for students. Teachers finish up grades and room clean up on Friday, June 16th.  Administrators, counselors and office secretarial staff remain an additional week.  Check the current calendar on the district website www.brookings.k12.or.us

What are my graduation requirements?

24 Credits- see curriculum guide for specific credit requirements
Passing Oregon Essential Skills in Reading, Writing, and Math
Completion of CIS Portfolio
Completion of EA Service Learning Project

If you have a question you think needs to be here let us know!